17 September, 2008

Bill Bailey - Tinselworm

A review of the Bill Bailey show has been requested and who am I to say no?

Last nights show was a sellout. Bill has added a couple of extra dates to some locations so look out, you might be lucky. Anyway, back to the show.

It was fantastic. Fantastic. Hilarious, clever, fast paced, bilingual in parts and just downright brilliant. Bill started the evening by deciding to call us 'Tuesday' instead of the more generic Sydney. He began with his idea of the London 2012 Olympic ceremony; an inflatable Winston Churchill, a robot Queen with a Pez head and flying Corgis featured heavily.

My favourite moment was when Bill gave us his interpretation of Australian evening news themes. It's not every day you see a 44 year old man leaping around a stage waving ribbons on sticks to the tune from ABC 7 o'clock news. If I'd laughed any harder I'd have spontaneously combusted on the spot.

Bill mused on changing the British national anthem to the Pink Panther tune and analysed song lyrics from Lionel Richie to The Killers. 'I've got soul but I'm not a soldier' could just have well been 'I've got ham but I'm not a hamster', he thought.

All up he was on stage for two hours. Obviously the show isn't the same as the UK one but I think he filled in the gaps quite nicely.

Finally, I'd like to leave you with a song. It's the song Bill sang to say goodbye to Tuesday. I hope you love it as much as we did.

5 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

That "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" line gets me every time! I am so pleased he addressed that!

mscrankypants said...

I'd have been squealing to hear him talk about Pez-headed robot Queen!

NiC said...

Wonderful...I've been back to watch this clip several times. I really should try and see Mr Bailey next time he's on around here.

SSS said...

You really should, Nic. Check his website. Meanwhile, go onto youtube and look for the Billy Bragg duet. You'll love it!

NiC said...

Excellent. Thanks!