25 October, 2009

Breakfast on the Bridge

I know, I know. It's been ages. But I'm here now.

Today is Sunday. Most normal people get up at a reasonable hour on Sunday. They open their eyes, smile at the sight of the alarm clock and promptly roll back over. They get up when they feel like it.

Today my alarm clock went off at 5am. I was out of the house at 05.28 and standing at the bus stop with a friend. It was time for http://www.breakfastonthebridge.com/ .

This was a first for Sydney and I'm sure it won't be the last. 6000 people got up at a ridiculous hour and carted picnics to Milsons Point train station. After queuing for a suprisingly short time in an unutterably long queue we rounded the corner and set foot on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

You've all seen it on the telly. Some of you have driven across it, walked over it and maybe even climbed it. But I bet none of you have taken off your shoes, put down a picnic rug and laid on your back on it like I did today.

It's a big bridge. It carries eight lanes of road traffic. It has two train lines, a footpath and a cycle lane. Today the road section was closed and turf was laid over a large section to allow NSW residents to have breakfast in style. The most entertaining thing for me was the milking cows which were eating hay and seemed oblivious to their surroundings.
The picnic was short but sweet. We settled down and unpacked our picnic at approximately 7am. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my picture taken by the masses of photographers but to no avail. About half way through volunteers handed out baseball caps in yellow and green. I haven't seen an arial shot yet but I'm sure it'll be amazing.

We were asked to start packing up at 08.20. It felt like long enough, to be honest. I came away with a heavier bag than I arrived with due to obtaining a free loaf of bread, a small pot of yoghurt and a free canvas bag.

Getting off the bridge was incredibly easy. We walked onto it from the north end and walked off it to the south. This suited the group very well as we'd all crossed the bridge (a big thing in Sydney, let me tell you) to get to the picnic so getting home was a breeze.

I was home by 09.30 and asleep on the settee by 10.00. I awoke at midday to pouring rain, thunder and lightning. Perfect timing.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. And if you're in town next year you should do it too.


HH said...

Nice pics SSS - it sounds like such a fun morning - and I am pleased to hear you got to doze when you got home! If I am around next year I will be trying to go!

Foodycat said...

I can't believe there was a cow! It looks like so much fun!

lapetitepipistrelle said...

aaaaaaaaAaaargh I am SO envious (in an entirely good way, not in a slit-eyed "you bitch" kind of way) that I missed out on something so wonderful as a picnic on the bridge!

The roll of turf was a great touch!


NiC said...

Sounds excellent! Welcome back :)

SSS said...

Thanks, all.

I'm pretty sure it will be an annual event so you'll all have to move to New South Wales in time for next October!

mscrankypants said...

A cow has walked on the bridge and I haven't ... good thing I think cows are sublimely noble creatures who deserve such treats. What a great idea to open the bridge to picnickers like that!