31 July, 2008

Reasons to be cheerful.

In an attempt to be less sour and more sweet I have dedicated this post to all things cheerful.

Okay, so the first one isn't exactly a reason to be cheerful but it warmed the cockles of my heart.

Marie and Frank Cotton were married for 65 years. They died on the same day in the nursing home where they had spent the last three years of their lives. Frank just couldn't live without his wife. I can't contemplate spending that many years with one person. Losing a partner after spending over two thirds of your life with them would be unimaginable. I know it sounds strange but the story made me smile. I'm glad that Marie and Frank got to toddle off towards eternity together.

Reason two - Christian the lion. If you are one of the few people on the planet who haven't heard this one then go to Youtube and watch the footage. I defy you not to cry. Christian was a lion who was bought from Harrods by two Aussies who were living in London in 1969. Well, I imagine it seemed like a good idea at the time. After 3 years of sharing their flat in the Kings Road, it was decided that Christian should go off to Kenya and live the life a lion was meant to live. Just under a year later, the men went to find him.



I watched this today and it made me laugh and cry at the same time. Truly beautiful.

Reason to be cheerful part three - did you see what I did there? - is this charming little activity sent to me by the recently missing in action Ambridge fan of Chelmford. Nothing quite like spending some time dropping angry little blue men from trees.

There. Not always whinging, am I?

2 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I can watch Christian the lion over and over again. The flash of recognition when he sees them is so beautiful!

SSS said...

Isn't it lovely? He truly seems delighted to see them. I love it when he's all over one of them then remembers there's another chap to paw.